I had a hankering for meatloaf, but knew my picky eaters wouldn’t like the look of a loaf, so I thought these muffin-sized meatloaves would be more appealing. When my kids asked what I was making I told them, “Meatloaf Muffins.” My youngest squished up his nose and frowned. I then said, “They are just like meatballs.” That seemed to satisfy him, so in our house they are referred to as Meatloaf Meatballs.
I adapted my recipe from Simple Daily Recipes, Quick and Easy Meatloaf Muffins.
What you will need:
- 1.5-2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup Italian Style bread crumbs (you might need to add more if mixture is too wet)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup (or canned tomato sauce – I used basil, garlic and oregano tomato sauce)
- ketchup for the tops of your meatloaf muffins
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, egg, water and ketchup or tomato sauce.
- Using your hands, mix well.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1/2 cup of the meat mixture. Do not pack it down, but gently press the top flat.
- Add an extra dollop of ketchup to the tops (I only did half…picky eaters, remember).
- BAKE for 30-40 minutes, until meatloaf muffins pull away from the sides.