Do you need some new material to romance your gnarly dude or valley girl this Valentine’s Day? Why not look “Back to the Future” to find your inspiration…80s style.
Start your night off right wearing something from the 80s.
For the Ferris Buellers:
1. Pop a collar on your favorite polo shirt.
2. Wear some Topsiders.
3. Mouse up your hair into a Flock of Seagulls do.
For the Molly Ringwalds:
1. Wear a neon tank top under a Flashdance slouchy sweatshirt.
2. With a pair of stirrup pants or leggings.
3. Don’t forget to crimp your hair.
The 80s were all about processed, fast food. SeriousEasts.com has a great 80s Top Ten list of food. You could have a buffet of junk food and candy with Rainbow Pasta Salad, 7-Layer Dip and any number of beloved pot-luck dinners like Hamburger Helper Crunchy Taco Bake. Don’t forget to serve toothpick hors d’oeuvres and make your own Strawberry Wine Coolers from Annie-Eats.com.
80s Decor to set the mood…
Black and white were big in the 80s with pops of neon colors. Find some boom boxes, Rubik’s cubes, cassette tapes and scatter around floral pillows and bean bags to lounge on.
80s Love Songs…
Make sure you make a “mixed tape” (CD or play list these days) with the top 10 most rad 80s love songs (list from Wikia.com):
1. Open Arms – Journey
2. I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
3. Total Eclipse of the Heart – Bonnie Tyler
4. With or Without You – U2
5. You’re the Inspiration – Chicago
6. Up Where We Belong – Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes
7. All Out of Love – Air Supply
8. I Just Called to Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder
9. Sara – Starship
10. I Just Can’t Stop Loving You – Michael Jackson
To top off your night, watch one or several of these totally tubular movies. Included are some rad quotes that you can throw into your conversation and melt the mousse right out of your honey’s hair.
1. “VALLEY GIRL” (1983)
“Man, he’s like tripendicular, ya know?” –Julie
“Hi, I’m Fred. I like tacos and ’71 Cabernet. My favorite color is magenta.” –Fred
2. “SIXTEEN CANDLES” (1984)
“What’s happenin’ hot stuff?” –Long Duk Dong
“I can’t belive I just gave my panties to a geek.” –Samantha
3. “THE BREAKFAST CLUB” (1985)
“Being bad feels pretty good, huh?” –John Bender
4. “PRETTY IN PINK” (1986)
“May I admire you again today?” –Duckie
“Listen, it’s after 7:00. Don’t waste good lip gloss.” –Iona
5. “SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL” (1987)
“You look good wearing my future.” — Keith
6. “DIRTY DANCING” (1987)
“Nobody puts Baby in the corner — Johnny
7. “SAY ANYTHING…” (1989)
“What I really want to do with my life — what I want to do for a living — is I want to be with your daughter. I’m good at it.” — Lloyd
“I gave her my heart, and she gave me a pen.” –Lloyd
8. “When Harry Met Sally” (1989)