What better way to commemorate this crazy year of 2020, than with a photo ornament for your tree made out of a toilet paper roll!
To make sure we never forget, I used pics of my boys with masks on. I came across this cute yarn hat made out of a toilet paper roll and viola! My 2020 Photo Ornaments were born. They are cute, they are ironic, they are happy and a little sad all at the same time. They are so 2020.
What you will need:
- Yarn, I used two colors for each hat
- Toilet paper roll, you can get 3-4 hats from one roll
- Cardstock or photos, the heads need to be between 1.5 – 2 inches wide
- Mod Podge glue (optional)
- Hot glue gun or other glue
- Happy heart
1. Cut many strips of your yarn about 10 inches each. I used two colors, alternating every two, but you can just use one color of yarn if you like.
2. Cut your toilet paper rolls into approximately 1″ rings.
3. Next, loop your yarn around the toilet paper ring and pull the ends through the loop. Pull tight to secure. Continue around until the whole toilet paper loop is covered. Approximately 32 strings.
4. Now comb the ends of your yarn so they are straight and then pull the yarn pony-tail through the entire the loop.
5. Tie with a yarn string and stuff the hat to pump it out with a tissue. Then trim the top pom pom to shape it.
6. Print your pics on card stock or get your photos out that you want to use. Your heads for your ornaments need to be 1.5-2 inches wide. Cut out your heads. I used pics of my kids wearing masks, but you don’t have too. If you want, you can use Mod Podge on your photos so they last longer. Make sure they are dry if you Mod Podge before trimming and moving on to next step.
7. Next, cut little rectangles out of your card stock and write 2020 on them.
8. Get our your hot glue gun or other glue and glue your 2020 tag on your hat and your head into the front part of the hat. I just put a smidge of glue on the top of the head and then pushed it into the hat.
That’s it! You just made the cutest 2020 Photo Ornament!
Stay safe everyone.
Be sure to check out all my other DIY Photo Ornaments below: